Tuesday, September 28, 2004

Football freakery

Di Ablo has written to me requesting my excellent advice, although I'm not sure he is quite right in the head. I will try to help anyway.

"I've got a few friends from home who never really understand what it feels like to win football matches. They support some knacked out no-hopers who haven't won the league since 1967/68. Tonight, the Red Devils masterfully outplayed the might of Fenerbahce and stuffed then 6-2. Wayne Rooney scored a hat trick on his debut. How do you think I should talk to these poor, depressed fools to let them know just how good it feels to win a match in the Champions League?"

Well, Di Ablo, I would suggest that you are some kind of deluded freak. The Champions League is nowhere near as important and exciting as a yearly relegation battle, and winning the old (but not old old) division one is the pinnacle of any team's success. Also, according to the wisdom of Coca-cola, the Championship is the real league for real fans. Wayne Rooney looks like Shrek and I am sure your friends would not want him anywhere near the beautiful team they support - scoring goals comes a poor second to looking good. Also, blue is a nice colour. Hope that helps, Di.