Sunday, September 19, 2004

Sunday solution

Problems don't have Sundays off, and so I am happy to help out the following person by dispensing my excellent advice.

Graham Glottalstop writes: "I was having a very enjoyable day out yesterday, gambling my shirt on some old nags on their way to the slaughterhouse and wasn't being very successful. As it turned out, I lost my house, cars and pet alligator. Some of the people I was with were a little more fortunate and won enough to retire on at the age of 28. Now, I don't begrudge the bastards on their good fortune. Honestly if they're happy to see me destitute and penniless just so that they can fly off to Hawaii every other weekend, that's just fine. However, they just wouldn't shut up. Having to listen to them decide which house they were going to sleep in tonight was a bit painful, especially as I had to doss down on the park bench in the snow. In such a situation, how should I politely excuse myself to go and cry in a corner and not have to listen to their smug crowing? Telling them to shut the f*** up and running away seems a little churlish."

Well, Graham, firstly if you owned more than one car you deserve to be hated and at least now you have lost them you can be removed from the hated people list. Secondly, do not object to your friends' good fortune - they are obviously much more skilled and intelligent than you are and chose their horses based on logic and judgment. Be nice to them as they are better than you now as they have more money - you should be grateful they will still talk to you. Maybe they will even let you stay on their yacht. Hope that helps, Graham.